This website only supports versions of Internet Explorer 9 and later. Please upgrade your web browser.

Download a modern version of IE by clicking here.

back to Learn

Low-Income Assistance

Programs helping families work toward financial stability.

Diversionary Work Program (DWP)
When families first apply for cash assistance, they typically start in the Diversionary Work Program. This four-month program helps Minnesota parents find jobs. Parents receive help paying rent, utilities, or other housing costs, and may also receive an allowance for personal needs. You can apply online or contact your local social services agency.


Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
The Minnesota Family Investment Program helps families with children meet their basic needs, including food, child care, and health care as they move toward financial stability through work. Participants have a lifetime benefit limit of 60 months as long as they continue to meet program requirements.
For more information, contact your local county or tribal human services agency. You can apply online.


Minnesota Department of Commerce
The Minnesota Department of Commerce offers an Energy Assistance Program (EAP) and Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). The EAP helps pay home costs and furnace repairs, while the WAP offers free home energy upgrades to help save energy and make sure your home is a healthy and safe place to live.

Spread the word!

  • Pinterest
  • Facebook

back to Learn